Thursday, November 7, 2013

Where I live

Taken by Chris Hadfield from the space station
Today, instead of using the NaBloPoMo challenge prompt, I’m taking on Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop – Eight best reasons you love living in your state.  I just need to switch it up a bit since I live in Canada so make that province instead of state.  As some of you may already know, I live in the suburbs of Montreal in the province of Quebec. 

-I know you hear stories about Quebec’s language “police” and wonder how we English can live in such an oppressive place but, quite frankly, I don’t feel very oppressed.  I have lived here my whole life and enjoy the mix of English and French in my city.  I admit, living in Montreal and especially in the suburbs to the west (aka the West Island) probably has a lot to do with that since there are a fair amount of English people here compared with other places in the province.  I was on the bus the other day and listened to the couple in front of me having a conversation that flipped back and forth between the two languages with ease and thought how wonderful that is.   

-I love the seasons here.  After our cold, snowy winter, Quebecers embrace spring and summer with passion.  We peel off the layers, get outside and breathe the air.  After months of sweaters, pants, boots, scarves, etc. we revel in sitting out on the terrasse at our local restaurant or bar with a cold drink and good food.  My favourite season though is autumn.  The crisp, cool nights and the beautiful colours here make you feel good to be alive.  I can’t imagine living somewhere that doesn’t have this. 

-There is a certain joie de vivre here that I haven’t seen anywhere else.   I'm not really sure how to describe it to somebody who doesn't live here.  We tend to go to extremes here whether we're talking about weather, politics or partying and there is a passion in everything.

-Universal Medicare!  Need I say more?  I realize that this is actually a Canadian thing rather than strictly a Quebec thing but it is one of the things that makes me so very happy to live here so it belongs on this list. 

-Politics.  Yes, I know that there is so much that happens that makes us want to tear our hair out in frustration but it is definitely not dull here.  Quebec politics are a complicated and, as I said, sometimes frustrating thing with language debates, separatists, fraud commissions, values charters, etc. which cause hearty debates and discussions.  There is always something to talk about and plenty of people wanting to talk about it. 

-There is also the fact that most of the people that I love and want to have in my life are here.  There are, of course, some friends and family in other parts of Canada who I care very much about and would love to see more but I can’t imagine walking away from those who are here. 

-The Food!!  The mixture of English, French and the great ethnic diversity of this city make for a food scene that cannot be beat.  People from all over covet Montreal bagels and smoked meat (obviously not together!).  The passion for food here can be found in the menus of the multitude and variety of restaurants and in the diversity of our grocery store shelves. 

That's seven and my brain is tired now so I'm done!  Needless to say, I love my home province and can't imagine going anywhere else anytime soon

Kat

12 comments:

  1. First, I can't believe you mentioned politics! LOL.
    Anywho, I love that double language thing - especially since it's French. I wish America was like that. And the seasons....I live in SoCal, so yeah, I wish I could see all four in all their glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This province is so unique within this country and the politics are just as unique - if a little frustrating sometimes. They are never dull!

      Growing up with the seasons, I'm not sure I'd want to live without them but I must say, there is something to be said for all that sunshine ;)

      Delete
  2. Interesting place that you live in..we also have a double language thing..or even multi language thing here in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people (and political parties) here make an issue out of having to learn English, wanting to Quebec to be unilingual French while places like Singapore have multiple languages with no problem. Those people need to travel more to see this and learn to chill out!

      Delete
  3. Wait, there are NaBloPoMo challenge prompts? Where? I need to get on this.

    I definitely envy the bilingual thing you've got going on. Very cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link to the prompts page. http://www.blogher.com/nablopomo-november-2013-prompts?wrap=nablopomo-writing-prompts&snid=578362 If the link doesn't work, "Google NaBloPoMo writing prompts" and you'll find it. I wouldn't be doing this without the prompts because I could never think of that many things to write about!

      Delete
  4. I visited Montreal many, many years ago, and at the time, it was one of the biggest cities I had ever been to. I remember being in awe of everything that was surrounding me. I also remember being completely lost because I don't speak a lick of French!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we're not known for bilingual signs. When I go somewhere else and see all of the English signs, I feel a little disoriented for a while even though I'm English. Thankfully, it's not a huge city (comparatively speaking) so the crime rate is pretty low and I've never felt unsafe walking the streets.

      Delete
  5. I love Montreal and Quebec...I need to visit again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a wonderful city with so much to see! Quebec City is a very nice place too and is on my bucket list of places that I want to see (unbelievable that I haven't been there yet!)

      Delete
  6. I've only been to Vancouver since it's so close to us in Seattle, but I would love to venture further into Canada! I did take two years of French in high school and from that can successfully say "I don't know". I'm sure that will get us places in Quebec! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited Vancouver about 13 years ago and thought that it was a nice city. Unfortunately, my visit wasn't long enough.

      If you stick around Montreal, you'd probably be okay but there are definitely a lot of regions here where "I don't know" would be a bit limiting on your enjoyment :)

      Delete