Saturday, November 16, 2013

Thankful

With all of the talk about American Thanksgiving coming up, I realized today that I never did a "thankful" post when it was (my) Canadian Thanksgiving.  Better late than never, right?

Sometimes, when life gets me down, I forget how much I really do have to be grateful for.  We all have times like that; bad day at work, arguing with the teenagers, sucky love life, sucky bank account……  the list goes on.  This is when I stop and think about the things that I have:

Those teenagers that sometimes make me pull my hair out?  They are the most amazing kids.  They are healthy, smart and have these amazing personalities that always surprise me.  They are pretty damned good looking (if I do say so myself) and confident and outgoing.  The Girl loves to make the people she loves happy.  The Boy greets me at the end of the day with a kiss and talk of his day.  They don't always listen and they sometimes fight with each other but they're teenagers; it would be shocking if this wasn't true.

The job that sometimes makes me ache for early retirement?  (very early since I'm only 43!)  This job pays for the roof over our heads; a fair size apartment in a decent neighbourhood that doesn't scare me at night.  It feeds my children and keeps clothes in their closet.  It lets me have some of the little extras (though not too many) that make life fun.  The fact that I have some wonderful coworkers, many of whom I consider friends, who make the days better is a definite plus.

My overweight body?  Yes, I'm overweight and that gets me down sometimes but, as I've aged, I've become more comfortable in my own skin and learned that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.  That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to be slimmer but I'm at the point now where looking at my body doesn't make me hate myself either.  Also, despite my weight, I'm still pretty healthy too and that's definitely something to be thankful for.

The small social circle?  I don't have dozens of friends and family on speed-dial.  I don't run into people I know everywhere I go.  There are lonely days/nights.  The people in my life who I do count as friends/family may be small in number but they are "quality".  Those who are in my life are people who I truly care about and I know that they care about me.  They are people who make me laugh, cry, think and who make my life immeasurably better.  



Yes, I am thankful for all that I have despite those days when it's easy to forget.

Kat

4 comments:

  1. That is a great post! And you have a lovely family! It's so easy to forget what we have. I was on the phone the other day with my mother while she was with some people she knew. Their house was burning to the ground. I could hear it. It was awful. It made me grateful that I have crappy chores to do because at least I have a house to do them in and kids to cook for and somewhere warm to be tonight. Sometimes we just have to stop and pay attention. Thank you for reminding me to be thankful.
    http://lovelytl33.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel terrible for that poor family! Hearing something like that makes you want to hug your kids and be glad for those dust bunnies that need to be swept up.

      Thanks for stopping by and giving me one more reason to be thankful

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. Sounds like you are doing a great job with all you have in life and your family and friends should be thankful for you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb, that's really kind of you. :)

      Delete