Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Hidden

November 26th prompt for the NaBloPoMo challenge – Tell us about the last thing you hid 

Usually, I’m not somebody who goes around hiding things (except what’s at the bottom of my underwear drawer but we won’t go there) but this time of year is a whole different ball game.  We are a month away from Christmas and, as I have mentioned in a previous post, I have actually started my Christmas shopping!  Go me!! 

This means that I have things to hide already.  I’ve got books, a semi-large appliance, kitchen knick-knacks, iTunes cards among other things.  Thankfully, my kids aren’t the type to go looking for their gifts since my closet is really the only place where I can hide them.  At least, I’m pretty sure they don’t snoop; I’ve never found evidence of it.  They seem to like opening their gifts Christmas morning and actually being surprised.   

I’m like that too.  When I was a kid, I knew that my mother kept the presents in her closet and it was off-limits.  There was one year, though, that my curiosity got the better of me and I peeked.  I waited until my parents were both out and I sneaked into their room to their closet door.  I was such a little goody-goody that just contemplating opening that door gave me quite a thrill.  After all, I was being BAD!    Well, I opened that door slowly with one hand and was squinting through the fingers of my other hand, not quite sure if I wanted to see or not, and it turns out that my mother had solved that problem for me by already having wrapped most of the gifts.  Those that weren’t wrapped were in bags and I just didn’t have the heart (or guts) to open them up.  I could never have feigned surprise on Christmas morning; my mother has her shortcomings but, somehow, she is an expert at spotting a lie (at least from me).  After such an anticlimactic end to that adventure, I just never bothered to try again.  


A long-ago present for The Girl that was loved


Kat

2 comments:

  1. Cute picture. I opened up a gift when I was a kid to peek in the wrapping and it totally ruined it for me. The surprise was over and I never did it again. I know my son did though!!!! He confessed. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day my kids will confess too but, until then or I see proof otherwise, I'll choose to believe in my "angels" (picture a sarcasm font here) ;)

      Delete