Thursday, March 13, 2014

Finish the Sentence Friday #2

My favourite decade was……

….. the nineties.  I know that a lot of people are going to choose the eighties so I’m bucking that trend.  The eighties were a huge decade in just about every way but, in my own life, the nineties were better.

I turned twenty in 1990.  Throughout my childhood and teens, I was the one who was shy, a little pudgy, suffered low self-esteem and was often the target of teasing and bullying.  It was only at the end of my teens that I found myself in a really good group of friends and my confidence grew.  In 1990, I started seeing the man who would become my husband (and later my ex-husband), moved out of my parent’s house and my life really got started.

Those ten years were undoubtedly the best time of our relationship.  It was a time of friends, family and of personal growth.  I was among people who accepted me and loved me.  I found my voice.  After growing up in a house where my opinions were mostly brushed aside and my feelings belittled, I felt empowered for the first time in my life.

It was also during this decade that I became a mother two times.  Actually, The Girl was born in 2000 so technically she doesn’t count in that decade but this is my story so I get to make up the rules on what decade to count her in.  At this point, we were married, had a house, a dog and two cats.  Kids seemed the next logical step in my evolution.  They were and still are the best thing I’ve ever done.

My "baby" before my babies

This is also the decade when my grandmother, father and mother-in-law passed away.  I had complicated relationships with all three of these people but they all had their own part in shaping me and teaching me important lessons. 

It was in the nineties that I started the job that I am still at twenty years later.  This job has had its ups and downs and will never be a dream job but it has been a steady source of income to support me and my kids and I will forever be grateful to my boss for taking a chance on an inexperienced twenty-four year old.  I think that I have managed to prove myself capable.

Overall, that was a good ten years and there isn’t a lot that I would change if I could go back.  That’s not to say that I made no mistakes but the things that I went through in the nineties, good and bad, had a huge part in shaping the person that I am today and I kind of like that person

Finish the Sentence Friday

Kat

22 comments:

  1. I love that you did pick the 90s and sounds like it really was a perfect time and when you came into your won for sure. Thanks for sharing with us and linking up, too again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine! I must say that I'm enjoying the eighties posts too; there are a lot of memories there.

      Delete
  2. " ...and there isn’t a lot that I would change if I could go back." - that clinched it for me. Really, what more is there, right? Happiness, despite the ups and downs, is everything.
    And loving that you're the first 90's person I've come across!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to be different! I like the person that I am today so why mess with a good thing? ;)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great decade for you! Also glad to see someone else post about the 90s :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a decade of change and growth for me. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. It really does sound like a pretty important time in your life and I am impressed you've had the same job for 20 years. So glad that you found a great group of friends and a more comfortable place in your life during the 90s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very thankful to have such a steady job at a time when many people face uncertain times. Of course, I know where the bodies are buried....... ;)

      Delete
  5. You know, I'm a big fan of the 90s as well. I would actually say 95-05 where the best for me. Wait. I take that back. 97-98 was pretty terrible. How about I just pick and choose the 10 best years? I think that would be easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think, those not-so-good years just make the others seem so much better! See, there's a reason for everything ;)

      Delete
  6. It's amazing what being around a group of positive and supportive people can do for a person. That's what I loved about college. I was always popular and would hang out with the jocks one day and then the nerds the next. I could never commit to a group, but they were all accepting of me. Lol. I almost chose the 90's as well. If one of my kids had been born in the 90's, it might have won out, but alas, the 80's were too strong for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eighties seem to have a strong pull for a lot of us and they were definitely big. If I was choosing a decade that had more overall socially, I certainly would have gone there

      Delete
  7. It's good to know that despite what you've described as a less than ideal childhood, you got yourself together and achieved your dreams! Thanks for sharing the good times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about achieving my dreams since I have yet to win the lottery for a life of leisure but I certainly did find myself. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  8. cool to have the photo of your dog ("My "baby" before my babies") on the post, makes me think of our first (and most perfect of all) dogs, Ola Bought our house in 1991 and Ola was our first addition to the family unit.
    cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we all think that we have the perfect dog? LOL

      He certainly taught me about patience before the kiddos came along ;)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful decade for you. Having the job stability of 20 years is glorious in this day in age. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly am lucky in that respect. Knowing where my next paycheque is coming from puts me in a good place

      Delete
  10. I picked the 80's Kat for the same reason you picked the 90's. I turned 21 in 1980. It was so fun to be in charge of my own life and to have so many options. Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think that our twenties are a real time of discovery for most of us. It's a time when we really decide who we will be.

      Delete
  11. Such a defining decade for you! Wow!

    ReplyDelete