Saturday, March 29, 2014

A step into fiction

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking these days.  What have I been thinking about?  Glad you asked!  As many of you know by now, I am an avid reader.  Reading so many great works of fiction has always made me dream of trying my hand at fiction.  The thought of being a writer has always been an exciting one.

The only impediment to this dream is that, like Winnie-the-Pooh, I have always considered myself to be a bear of very little imagination.  Okay, the quote is actually "very little brain" but I'm showing a "little imagination" by tailoring it to my current needs.  As you can imagine, this lack of confidence in my abilities seriously hampers my drive to even attempt it. 

One of the accounts that I follow on Google+ posts a weekly writing prompt and it has really “prompted” me to seriously consider making an attempt.  I also have a book of writing prompts that I had intended to work with, even keeping an exercise book in my purse, but the idea kind of fizzled.  If I’m not held accountable in some way, this tends to happen to me…..

This is why I’m seriously considering setting up a secondary blog devoted solely to my (possibly feeble) attempts at fiction.  If there is a blog out there waiting for something to be published on it, this may just be the push I need to get serious about writing the fiction that I so dearly love.

It's been suggested to me by a friend, who certainly has more experience than me, that it might be a good idea to create a fiction page on this blog rather than maintaining a second blog.  She's probably right.  The thing is, I have enough fear of failure in this new venture that I don't want to set up a page here that could be defunct in a couple of months.  I enjoy this blog and don't want that staring me in the face every time I come here.  If this fiction blog is something that I come to enjoy and become moderately good at, then I'll consider blending the two blogs into one but, for now, I think that I'd like to keep the two separate.

I took this image one of Mama Kat's (Mama's Losin' It) emails for her weekly blog prompts because I think that this is how I'll start out.  A new blog doesn't have a large readership so I'd basically be writing for myself at first.

If I do it, I’ll tell you about it but I’m not sure that my somewhat fragile self-esteem will let me go on an all-out promotion blitz about it for a while.  Like I said, "write like no one's reading".  I may just take some time to get a feel for it first.  I tend to be pretty hard on myself, like so many of us are, so it might take a while to me to get up the nerve to make this a reality.   Stay tuned……

Kat

5 comments:

  1. Do it! I bet it will be cathartic! I wonder if you could just add a "category" for fiction on your current blog? Then, as you start to feel confident, you could move the content to it's own special blog? Just an idea. Less to manage = more apt to follow through for me. ;) Love your page, and your conversational writing style.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a nice compliment! Adding a page to this blog was suggested to me but (as always) I have to be a bit backwards. I'm nervous to add something like fiction to this blog - which I enjoy - until I know that it's something I can do.

      Delete
    2. I hear you! Maybe a good pen name might help you be inspired without worry!

      Delete
  2. Why can't you just blog about books here too? Mine is such a lifestyle blog it has EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do publish the occasion review of books that I read on this blog but this is about me actually trying my hand at fiction. Scary!! I think that I need to gain a bit of practice and confidence before I mess with this blog.

      Delete