It seems to me that we didn't have all of the packaged snack food back in the seventies that we have today. Either that or my parents just didn't have enough grocery budget to afford them. Bit of both maybe? Anyway, a lot of my childhood favourites are still favourites today and make me smile.
1. I think Smarties are one of my all-time favourites. When I was a kid, I would pour them out and separate the colours, saving the red for last. Sometimes, I would pretend that I was a doctor and pretended that they were medicine. Even today, I'll still eat them one colour at a time. What can I say; they bring out the kid in me.
2. I loved celery with Cheese Whiz. I would fill the centre trough with all of that wonderful processed cheese and that would offer a great contrast to the crisp, clean celery. Even with processing, this is still cheese so I get to call this a healthy snack ;)
3. Another favourite in our house was peanut butter and crackers. If they were Premium Plus crackers, all the better! This is actually a snack that I haven't had in years and only thought of as I pondered this post. I can't say why I stopped eating it; I guess that I just went on to bigger and better things.
4. Jello!! Is it really necessary to explain this one? I think not. I still love it to this day
5. Of course chips are on most people's snack lists and I'm no different. My favourite in this category though is cheesies (or cheese puffs, if you prefer). I have always loved these things. They leave your hands and lips covered in all of that yummy, artificial, orange goodness and you can never have just one.
6. In the summertime, I have always grabbed the cherry tomatoes. They are sweet and bite-sized and can be easily packed in a lunch bag. Somehow I have managed to give birth to two kids who won't eat tomatoes and I just don't get it. I guess that snack's off the table for this new generation….. sigh
7. I have had a on/off affair with yogurt. I am a little bit fussy about which ones I'll eat but it's a healthy snack that I enjoy most of the time. There have been times that I have gone off it for a while - especially when I was pregnant with The Girl (just the smell of it made me want to barf!) - but I always come back to it.
8. This, of course, is the time of year for all of those Easter goodies. One that I have enjoyed since I was a kid are those small, solid chocolate eggs. I can't have just one! I will sit there and eat them until I'm queasy if they aren't taken away from me. I have a very big weakness for them.....help…..
9. Ice cream is a timeless thing that I think is a staple on most snack lists. It is truly a comfort food. My favourites will always be the basics; chocolate, vanilla, neapolitan. There are plenty of others that are decadent treats but I always seem to return to those ones.
10. When I was a kid, my mother would sometimes buy Jiffy Pop popcorn and I loved to watch the dome expand as the popcorn poppped. That was almost as much fun as actually eating it. My wierd cat loved popcorn too and would settle in next to me when I ate it. If I was too slow in giving him pieces, he would put his head right into the bowl and steal them.
So, my favourites are a pretty good mix of healthy and naughty just like life ought to be. What are your favourites?