Saturday, October 8, 2016

Writing Letters

I have been following Chantelle of the blog Fat Mum Slim for a little while now.  She posts the most amazing pictures and hosts the Photo a Day Challenge on Instagram. 

She also started something called the Oh So Happy Mail Project which matches people up with pen pals.  This was the most fantastic idea!

I had a friend, as a teenager, who lived on the other side of the country and we wrote back and forth for a number of years.  Since then, though, letter writing has not been a big part of my life.  Sure, there is the occasional email to friends and family but, in this day of instant communication via text, Facebook, etc, even emailed letters don't happen so much anymore.

There were five official rounds (they're taking a break for a while) and I joined in Round 3.  I've had mixed luck with these official rounds but I have also met new people on their web page.  It has been so much fun putting together small (postage-friendly) packages and getting to know new people.  We send letters, post cards, stickers, tea and whatever else tickles our fancy.

I have pen pals in Australia (where Chantelle is based), Scotland, England and the US.  It is so cool to  open my mailbox with anticipation!  Canada Post has actually been getting money from me for the first time in years since I rarely mailed anything before this.  They should send Chantelle a thank you letter  ;)

I ordered a book called Snail Mail by Michelle MacKintosh to get some ideas and found it to be a really interesting book.  It not only gives you letter writing ideas but also talks about the art of letter writing itself.

(bought on Amazon)

What am I thankful for today?  Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving so I have a three day weekend during which I will read, eat, sleep and generally relax.  It is time to treasure.

Kathy

0 comments:

Post a Comment