Friday, April 4, 2014

Finish the Sentence Friday - #4

I never understood what the big deal was about……. 

….. so-called “reality” programs. 

I’ve aired my opinion on this before so nobody should be too shocked by the fact that I boycott all “reality” television on basic principle no matter how popular it may be.  These programs have absolutely nothing to do with reality.  Just because there is no script, doesn’t make it real.   

I just don’t understand the fascination that the viewing public has with this genre.  Obviously, people really are fascinated enough by it to tune in week after week or the genre would have died out long ago but I just don’t get it.   

People let themselves be stranded on islands with a bunch of strangers to form lord-of-the-flies-like alliances forced to eat gross things and “jump through hoops” to keep from being thrown out.  There are those who live with strangers and proceed to verbally tear each other apart for the benefit of the rolling cameras.  There are people who get up on a stage to have their talents ridiculed by judges and their millions of viewers.  Don’t even get me started on the pathetic souls who try to woo a spouse with a camera in their faces and knowing that their every move is being judged around thousands of water coolers the next day.  It’s hard enough navigating a relationship when it’s just two people involved. 

Then we move on to the quasi-celebrities and has-beens who bring the cameras into their lives to advertise their drama and dysfunctional relationships to the world.  Please don’t tell me these people are normal.  People like this are attention junkies and know that they are just crazy enough (or can pretend to be) to be interesting.  I mean who the heck would want to watch the Kardashians eat their Shreddies in the morning and head off to work like a normal family?  Nobody! 

How is any of this reality?  How do they manage to suck so many people into watching?  I can’t say that people who watch this programming are fools or stupid.  I know some very intelligent and perfectly nice people who watch at least some of this genre.  Could it just be a matter of human curiosity like rubbernecking when you pass an accident on the road or looking at the guy on the street corner who is talking to himself?  I think that some of the antics on these shows have a kind of car wreck feel to them that make people want to see what happens next.    

Thankfully, there are a gazillion channels (exaggerate much?) out there providing something for everyone  and if, even with all of this choice, I still can’t find something to watch, I can always (gasp) turn OFF the television and pick up a book or even type up a blog post about there being nothing to watch.


Janine's Confessions of A Mommyaholic

Kathy   

16 comments:

  1. I am so with you on this and truly not a fan of reality TV either. I much rather watch a funny sitcom then sit through a reality TV show, nice to know it isn't just me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely not alone. I also like the History Channel and National Geographic. Now there is true reality programming!

      Delete
  2. I've gotten pulled into a few reality tv shows, but they really aren't my favorite. The ones with pseudo-celebrities are the worst. I'd much rather be reading a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am done with reality tv as well. Give me a good sitcom and I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Big Bang Theory is probably my favourite. Have you seen The Goldbergs? I often get a good laugh at that one.

      Delete
  4. My idea of reality tv is reading blogs LOL. It's more realistic and less scripted. Most reality shows, the people will tell you it is scripted to a point. Same with those shows like Jerry Springer and Ricki Lake. They tell you how to behave and things they want on the show, and if you are too boring, they will make you interesting one way or the other. It's like the WWE. It's fake. That makes it even more stupid to watch in my opinion, like if I want to watch something scripted, I'd rather watch something scripted by well-paid writers who know humor, plot, and drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%! People on those shows don't behave normally and, if they did, they'd be dropped for being too boring.

      Delete
  5. yup, agree with ya.
    not a fan of reality tv. my life already has many problems why look into others lives. rather watch a comedy!

    TGIF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TGIF indeed! I'm on vacation now and look forward to a week of sloth, farting around reading (and writing) blogs, watching (good) tv, shopping…. going whereever the wind takes me.

      Delete
  6. I was going through some old email drafts I had saved...and I ran across a link to your blog from 4/23 of last year....and read it again. I could relate on a whole new level this time. I was the only comment then...and I look at your most recent post and you have 5 comments before me...and my comment is totally irrelevant to your post today. Weird. I'm not really going anywhere with this except for to say HI! and you were one of my first blogs I started popping in on and seeing what was going on.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see you Rhonda! You are completely welcome to come and say irrelevant things here any time you want to ;)

      I've gotten a bit behind in my blog rounds lately and must get over to yours!

      Delete
  7. UGH I cannot stand reality tv. It's not reality. It's a bunch of dumbbutts doing stupid stuff that the producers egg them on to do and it's no longer entertaining. Plus when they make people eat the really nasty stuff? Not even funny. Just disgusting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "dumbbutts" and totally intend to steal it as I know a few people who that label would fit perfectly on!

      Honestly, I'd be embarassed to do some of the things that these people do on camera. Just what I see on commercials for some of these shows makes me cringe.

      Delete
  8. I got caught up in it when they first started doing them back in the day... but as time went on I watched them less and less. I actually don't even watch Tv all that much anymore. I watch Netflix if I do and it's usually just movies... except for 30 Rock. Ha ha!
    xoxo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids and I have really gotten into Netflix too; so much so that I need to reconsider my internet package! I recently got hooked on The Walking Dead over there (yeah, I'm late to that party) and can't wait for Season 4 to get on there. I have gotten much pickier about what I will watch on tv now. Now it's usually quality over quantity.

      Delete