Saturday, January 25, 2014

Blood and Bruises to Come

The Boy has joined rugby at school.  This thrills me because I played it in high school too.  Unfortunately, I only played for one year (my last) but at least I got the experience.  This, of course, is one of the roughest sports you can play in school so it should be interesting to see what wounds he comes home with.

He went to his first practice this past Tuesday and came home totally excited.  He likes the coach (a former student) and really enjoyed the scrimmage that they had.  He seems enthusiastic and I hope he continues to feel that way.  He spends far too much time exercising his thumbs with the Xbox; it’s time to move the rest!

I remember the girls’ games were rough enough with plenty of bruises, bloody noses and even some stitches for one poor girl.  Thankfully, I escaped mostly with bruises.  The boys were another story all-together.  For some reason, our school thought that it would be a good idea for the shirts (both boys and girls) to be mostly white with a couple of stripes for the school colours.  What were they thinking?!  The girls’ shirts got pretty stained but the boys’ shirts were works of art.  By half-way through the season, the guys’ shirts had a vast assortment of grass, mud and plenty of blood stains.  They looked like they had been through hell!

So, this is what I have to look forward to this spring; lots of gross laundry and probably plenty of boo boos to kiss better (not that he would EVER let me do that!!)

Kat

Yep, pretty much says it all!

6 comments:

  1. I never played sports in school. They didn't have a girls basketball team back then so at 5'10" that would have been my choice. My son played baseball and basketball and baseball gave him stitches, a split lip and a few sprains. I was so glad he got into sports. It teaches them so much. Glad your son is going to play. (They want Mom to kiss the boo boo's deep down) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't really into sports as a kid; rugby that one year was a huge exception that I'm glad a took. Both of my kids play soccer in the summer and my daughter did badminton last year but that tends to be the extent of it. I'm totally excited about this and will try to kiss the boo boo's in a "cool" way ;)

      Delete
  2. I never did sports either. I am curious to read more about how it goes. All I know about Rugby is what I saw on Friends. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great, if a bit brutal, sport and I'm really hoping that he enjoys it. I'll be sure to post updates :)

      Delete
  3. Aak! Fingers crossed that the bruises are minimal!

    (And I sort of love that you played, too! Go you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fact that I played it too just makes me that much more excited! He's a fairly big kid so hopefully he won't get too banged up ;)

      Delete