Thursday, June 6, 2013

Bacon!


This is my first time participating in the weekly Writer’s Workshop that Mama Kat hosts on her blog Mama’s Losin’ It.  Check it out - http://www.mamakatslosinit.com/2013/06/writing-prompts-06-03/    Yes, another Kat!  We should start a club; call me sistah! 

Most weeks, when I look at her writing prompts, my mind tends to draw a great big blank.  I’m not good under pressure and my poor little imagination kind of shrivels ups.  This week, however, is different.   One of Mama Kat’s prompts this week is BACON!!  Yay!  This is one of my favorite words in all of the English language.  I can write an ode to bacon with my eyes closed and one hand behind my back but I won’t because I don’t want you to think that I’m a dope who can’t type to save her life. 

The sight of a perfectly cooked, crispy slice of bacon is a feast for the eyes, conjuring up images of cozy Sunday breakfasts eaten in your pj’s with a hot cup of tea and some eggs or pancakes. 

Then there is the smell!  The scent that permeates the whole house while that perfectly cured meat sizzles in the pan is pure ambrosia.  Nobody in the household can possible stay asleep once their noses pick up that scent.  It’s enough to make your taste buds stand up at attention and send drool dripping down your chin. 

The finale comes when you sink your teeth into that perfect combination of crispness and chewiness, the saltiness and smoky flavour, the grease that carries these flavours to all parts of your mouth.  Does it get any better than this? 

Bacon goes with just about anything.  I mean, really, it makes everything better!  You go into a restaurant and read about a chicken dish on the menu; as soon as you see that it’s wrapped in bacon, it doesn’t matter what else is in the dish, your first reaction is “Yum!”  Just take a tour around the internet and you’ll find great innovations in bacon enjoyment – bacon doughnuts, bacon jam, chocolate covered bacon……..  the combinations are endless!   If I met a man on the street who was wearing bacon scented cologne, I’d probably jump his bones right then and there.  Try getting that picture out of your head.  (you’re welcome) 

My latest love, though, is a recent menu addition at Tim Horton’s, that shining example of all that is Canadian.  I am talking, of course, about their breakfast panini – egg, cheese, your choice of bacon or sausage (bacon, of course!) all served on either a multi-grain or, get this, MAPLE flatbread!  We’re talking about flatbread infused with maple syrup here people…….with bacon!  It’s amazing that I have found the restraint to keep myself from going there every flippin’ day.  Take a look at this picture and just try to tell me that this doesn’t look good. 



Damn, now I want some bacon......

Kat


Mama’s Losin’ It

21 comments:

  1. Love what you said about bacon making everything better.... That's what my husband said, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, we could be bacon sisters. I totally get you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.... bacon sisters.... that would make a great Facebook page. It would probably get a ton of "like" 's ;)

      Delete
    2. You should create it! I'd totally like that FB page.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Kat. I love a good laugh first thing in the morning. I try to use everyones love of bacon to my advantage while I'm in the kitchen. Don't like the veg? I'll crumble up bits of bacon in there so the kids will eat it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, bacon makes a great secret weapon when trying to get the kids to eat things!

      Delete
  4. Bacon makes the world go 'round! We don't have it often, but when we do.... life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacon makes everything better EXCEPT sweet stuff. You lose me when you create a peanut butter and bacon shake (YES, SONIC, I'M TALKING TO YOU!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit, that doesn't sound very tasty to me either but we shouldn't judge. Bacon is supposed to bring us all together in peace and harmony; even the oddballs who would drink that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband has very loving feelings towards bacon and other pork products :) I am not a fan. And I HATE the smell. You're right, it's ALL over the house...blech! My husband does most of his bacon cooking/eating at work because the sight/smell of it angers me so. I know that I'm not normal ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, who wants to be "normal" when you can stand out! I bet that you have other guilty pleasures that we can agree on. ;)

      Has your husband ever tried cooking bacon on the BBQ? My ex-husband buys the thick-cut kind and does it on the grill over low heat - no smelly house for you!

      Delete
  8. Oh how I miss Tim Hortons!!! We don't have it here in FL. I agree that chocolate covered (sweet) bacon is nasty (I've tried it once), but have you had candied bacon? It's not bad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta have my Timmies! (sorry you're so far from one)

      I haven't tried candied bacon (yet); something else to put on my bucket list. There seem to be so many possibilities when it comes to bacon.....

      Delete
  9. I cook my bacon in the microwave. It's the only way I can get it crispy enough for my liking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been brave enough to try that. How do you do it?

      Delete
  10. Um hello. Now I NEED bacon....... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! You're right, just reading that post makes me want some too ;)

      Delete
  11. Well if I'd known bacon was the key to your heart I would have recommended it as a writing prompt long ago! I love the passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never hard to be passionate about bacon! Can you guess what I cooked for breakfast this weekend? ;)

      Delete